Test suite now passes on Python 3

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 11:19:07AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> As of today's git master, the Launchpad test suite starts up and runs at
> least a subset of tests on Python 3.  (This was a long slog in itself;
> see
> https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~cjwatson/blog/lp-python3-progress.html.)
>
> To reproduce this yourself, assuming you already have a test setup as
> described in https://dev.launchpad.net/Running/LXD, run "make
> PYTHON=python3", after which you can try running tests as described in
> https://dev.launchpad.net/Testing.  You'll need the latest
> launchpad-developer-dependencies installed from
> ppa:launchpad/ubuntu/ppa.

The entire Launchpad test suite now passes on Python 3.  There are some
unreliable tests due to Python 3.5 having non-deterministic dict
ordering; I've been squashing these as they show up, but we may still
run into more.

I've also upgraded our "dogfood" instance (https://dogfood.paddev.net/)
to Python 3.  This is used mainly for QA of the archive publisher, but
it's a start.  I expect to upgrade staging and qastaging over the next
week or two, shake out as many remaining issues as possible, and aim to
upgrade production (perhaps gradually) by the end of the 21.04 cycle.

At this point I would recommend that all developers have a Python 3
setup available; you may even want to work in it routinely, although
you'll still need to run tests on Python 2 before proposing merges.  You
can maintain both setups quite easily using git worktrees.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]

Follow ups