pre-commit

Launchpad now uses pre-commit (https://pre-commit.com/), and developers
should install the pre-commit hook in their git clones.  There are
instructions for doing so here:

  https://dev.launchpad.net/Running#pre-commit

This doesn't quite replace utilities/lint yet, but I intend for it to do
so once we've cleaned up some more things, since it seems much more
convenient.  It already does things like checking that Python files
parse successfully, preventing commits of merge conflicts, and stopping
you accidentally committing to master.  My near-term plans include
integrating flake8, isort, and lp-lint-doctest (but in all cases we need
to clean up at least the bulk of the existing lint first).

Once you have the overall hook installed, you don't need to do anything
else to track additions to our suite of linters: pre-commit will deal
with that automatically depending on .pre-commit-config.yaml.

Enjoy having less to keep track of by hand,

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]