Re: Contributing code to libsmi

Hi Marek,

You have posted on the 'launchpad-dev' mailing list which is solely for
discussing topics related to the development of Launchpad itself. As your
question is unrelated to the development of Launchpad itself, the
'launchpad-users' mailing list (see https://launchpad.net/~launchpad-users)
would have been a better place for posting this.

Now coming to your question,

On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 7:44 AM <mxhajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have code to contribute to the libsmi library. During the development of
> one of IEEE 802.3.1 standard revisions, a need for the configurable control
> of the line width became apparent to reprint existing MIBs into a
> line-width controlled format (via smidump). The parameter controlling the
> line width is hard coded right now so I have extended the existing
> parameter set with -w (--width) parametrization, which allows to set the
> line width for multiline printing function. I also had to rewrite the
> multiline printing function to properly account for whole word delimiters
> to provide a more visually acceptable output.
>

> I have modified code available for review (there are in total 5-6 files I
> had to touch). The code is written in C and compiled on Ubuntu 22.04 with
> all latest libraries for test purposes.
>

> I would like to submit it for consideration, but despite reading about the
> process for a few hours, I do not seem to be able to figure out how to
> create a pull request / where to submit a code.
>

> Any pointers would be really appreciated. I know the code extension will
> be really usable.

https://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/projects/libsmi/download.html mentions that the
source code for the 'libsmi' project is maintained at
https://gitlab.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/nm/libsmi. So please go and submit your
contributions for review there. Afaik, it is unlikely that feature changes
like this one will be directly accepted into Debian/Ubuntu and the best way
to get it into these distributions will be via the upstream project.

If you still insist on contributing this directly to Ubuntu, I would
suggest getting in touch with the Ubuntu developers via the
'ubuntu-devel-discuss' mailing list (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-devel-discuss) or the
#ubuntu-devel
IRC channel on libera.chat.

We, the Launchpad team, are aware of the gaps in our user documentation on
submitting code contributions to projects/distributions on Launchpad and
have it in our plans to fix that soon.

Thanks,
Guruprasad
Launchpad team