launchpad-translations-coordinators team mailing list archive

Re: Launchpad Translators group help page

Hi Adi,

Il giorno dom, 18/01/2009 alle 07.23 +0200, Adi Roiban ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I think that Launchpad Translators group help page is ready for a final
> review:
> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators

your work looks very good so far!

I have a couple of suggestions though, I'm writing them down as the come
to my mind...

The "overview" section at the beginning from my POV is not needed or at
least not in that way. I would rather move the "Goal and Purpose"
section to "Overview", as that page is going to be used not for the
developing of the team per se, but for promoting it through Launchpad's
help. I would join together the Overview and the "Goal and Purpose"
sections in just one section (keeping "Overview" as looks like other
pages use it).

I don't know, but I wouldn't use "Launchpad Translations (Rosetta)"; it
is still called Rosetta, but the Launchpad interface now uses only
"Launchpad Translations". I would rather use only "Launchpad
Translations" for identifying the "product".

When talking about how to work with the LT, I would, as a suggestion,
suggest to use the "restricted" policy (if the policy is "open", looks
like everybody could leave and approve translations).

The Launchpad Translators team announcement list is the lp-translators
mailing list? Is it possible for non-subscribed people to post to that
list? I think we can use the +contactuser link, as it works with teams
too: https://launchpad.net/~TEAM-NAME/+contactuser (as long as they have
set the contact information), and not talk about the mailing list there.

In the "Creating a team" section:

The "karma" thing... hmmm... I'm not really sure we should use it as a
reference for translations done (not even for quality).

I would rework the list of steps as a numbered list, so people will se
what to do and in which order.

The first step: "Join the launchpad translators...", same problem of
other mailing list in Launchpad, as long as you're not in the team you
can't subscribe (at least that I know of). Anyway, I will move this to
the bottom of the steps, like: first create the wiki page, look here and
there, when you're done and are ready, contact us.

> I'm waiting for Launchpad Translators team renaming and mailing list
> approval. https://edge.launchpad.net/~lp-translators
>
> We should use this team to gather all team coordinators and other people
> interested in LP translations.
>
> I was also thinking to have a wiki page with a list of all language
> translations guides. This could be used until this feature is done in
> LP. If you think this is not useful we can remove it.
> https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/GuidesList

Hmmm... I don't know, I think we should keep those pages as simple as
possibile. In my mind those instructions would better be in the teams'
page (Romanian team page, Slovenian...) since they look like "how to
translate". We should probably extend the how to create a team or the
suggested best practices on how to create/run a team.

Those guide are more "team" specific even if they could share the same
base: we could have different teams appointed to LT for the same
language that could have slightly different style guides (GNOME and KDE
for my language use different styles).

> I have also created a general translation guide to be used as a starting
> for other languages. https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/Guide
>
> This translation guide somehow overlaps with "Starting to translate"
> wiki page: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/StartingToTranslate
>
> I was think to have Rosetta specific tips in the "Starting to translate
> page" , and use the "Guide" for general aspect, not related to Rosetta.

I think we can extend the StartingToTranslate page, even if I'm not sure
that all the information in the "Guide" page are really really relevant
to LP. There are PO specific information/syntax, I would keep them out,
Launchpad Translations is trying to "hide" in some way that kind of
information to the users (well, at least in my mind!).

> Who is responsible for Rosetta help pages?

I think it's Matthew Revell... but I'm not really sure, probably he
was...

These are just some thoughts...

Cheers.

--