launchpad-translations-coordinators team mailing list archive

Re: Launchpad Translators group help page

În data de Du, 18-01-2009 la 16:26 +0000, Milo Casagrande a scris:
> Hi Adi,
>
> Il giorno dom, 18/01/2009 alle 07.23 +0200, Adi Roiban ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I think that Launchpad Translators group help page is ready for a final
> > review:
> > https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/LaunchpadTranslators
>
> your work looks very good so far!
>
> I have a couple of suggestions though, I'm writing them down as the come
> to my mind...
>
> The "overview" section at the beginning from my POV is not needed or at
> least not in that way. I would rather move the "Goal and Purpose"
> section to "Overview", as that page is going to be used not for the
> developing of the team per se, but for promoting it through Launchpad's
> help. I would join together the Overview and the "Goal and Purpose"
> sections in just one section (keeping "Overview" as looks like other
> pages use it).
>
> I don't know, but I wouldn't use "Launchpad Translations (Rosetta)"; it
> is still called Rosetta, but the Launchpad interface now uses only
> "Launchpad Translations". I would rather use only "Launchpad
> Translations" for identifying the "product".
I wall also adding Rosetta to make it clear it was talking about the applications.
With Rosetta Groups, language translations teams. translators team ...
etc , it is not easy to be sure people know what are you talking about.

> When talking about how to work with the LT, I would, as a suggestion,
> suggest to use the "restricted" policy (if the policy is "open", looks
> like everybody could leave and approve translations).
I agree.
I think we should also highlight the fact that translation group members
are only reviews and qa people, and that anyone could translate
software. This is also stated in the general help page, but maybe it is
not bad to say it again.

> The Launchpad Translators team announcement list is the lp-translators
> mailing list? Is it possible for non-subscribed people to post to that
> list? I think we can use the +contactuser link, as it works with teams
> too: https://launchpad.net/~TEAM-NAME/+contactuser (as long as they have
> set the contact information), and not talk about the mailing list there.
I was thinking at using the same mailing list for discussion and
announcements.
I don't know exactly if it's possible to send messages if you are not a
member if the team.
I hope this will be possible.
Also the team membership should be open.

> In the "Creating a team" section:
>
> The "karma" thing... hmmm... I'm not really sure we should use it as a
> reference for translations done (not even for quality).
Neither do I. I just put there as I thought!

> I would rework the list of steps as a numbered list, so people will se
> what to do and in which order.
I started as a numbered list, but it looks like the moinmoin theme does
not allow such lists.

> The first step: "Join the launchpad translators...", same problem of
> other mailing list in Launchpad, as long as you're not in the team you
> can't subscribe (at least that I know of). Anyway, I will move this to
> the bottom of the steps, like: first create the wiki page, look here and
> there, when you're done and are ready, contact us.
I think that team coordinators should be member of Launchpad Translators
teams as I was thinking to use this team as a general l10n contact in
Launchpad (answers, bugs, etc)

> > I'm waiting for Launchpad Translators team renaming and mailing list
> > approval. https://edge.launchpad.net/~lp-translators
> >
> > We should use this team to gather all team coordinators and other people
> > interested in LP translations.
> >
> > I was also thinking to have a wiki page with a list of all language
> > translations guides. This could be used until this feature is done in
> > LP. If you think this is not useful we can remove it.
> > https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/GuidesList
>
> Hmmm... I don't know, I think we should keep those pages as simple as
> possibile. In my mind those instructions would better be in the teams'
> page (Romanian team page, Slovenian...) since they look like "how to
> translate". We should probably extend the how to create a team or the
> suggested best practices on how to create/run a team.
Are you talking about Translations/Guide ?
I was thinking to create that "how to translate" guide for languages
that does not have such a guide or to use it as a starting point.

> Those guide are more "team" specific even if they could share the same
> base: we could have different teams appointed to LT for the same
> language that could have slightly different style guides (GNOME and KDE
> for my language use different styles).

> > I have also created a general translation guide to be used as a starting
> > for other languages. https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/Guide
> >
> > This translation guide somehow overlaps with "Starting to translate"
> > wiki page: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations/StartingToTranslate
> >
> > I was think to have Rosetta specific tips in the "Starting to translate
> > page" , and use the "Guide" for general aspect, not related to Rosetta.
>
> I think we can extend the StartingToTranslate page, even if I'm not sure
> that all the information in the "Guide" page are really really relevant
> to LP. There are PO specific information/syntax, I would keep them out,
> Launchpad Translations is trying to "hide" in some way that kind of
> information to the users (well, at least in my mind!).
This is why I would like to keep the general guide as general as
possible. Variable names are the same, plural forms are the same ...etc
With all Rosetta abstraction people will still see placeholders,
variable names, variable ordering, plural forms.

> > Who is responsible for Rosetta help pages?
>
> I think it's Matthew Revell... but I'm not really sure, probably he
> was...
>
> These are just some thoughts...
Feel free to modify the text!

--