Re: [Launchpad-dev] badges and point notifications

El dc 17 de 11 de 2010 a les 23:59 -0800, en/na Clint Byrum va escriure:
> On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 13:49 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> > On 17 November 2010 03:59, Jonathan Lange <jml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I think that it's a good idea, on the whole. Rob's cautions about
> > > wanting to encourage meaningful contribution over and above activity
> > > are spot on, but I don't think they are deal breakers.
> > >
> > > Are you interested in actually implementing this?
> >
> > Personally I'd like to see karma deleted altogether, or at least to
> > have the numbers hidden, because it focuses attention on a meaningless
> > number.  (A simple 'most active in x, y, z' could be worthwhile.)
> > Much as was discussed with polls, it disappoints users that it's not
> > fair and accurate, and it takes developer time.  However, even
> > removing it takes time.
> >

> Right, the "karma" number isn't really fair or appealing as it seeks to
> homogenize contributions into a single value which means very little.

Not debating the goodness of badges here, but there are areas of
contribution where participants do care about karma, not as a single
value, but as a measure of the work they do in the area they care about.

As an example, translators often follow the top contributors page and
take a pride in being there:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+topcontributors

That does not necessarily mean that we encourage quantity over quality
(in Ubuntu, for example, we obviously do the contrary), but at least
people seem to be happy about karma in translations, and I'm sure in
other areas as well.

Also this data is also useful in other sites to highlight good work in
different areas of contribution:

http://hall-of-fame.ubuntu.com/

Regards,
David.