Re: how to upload crash reports?

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 08:06:04PM +0100, Tommaso R. Donnarumma wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 15:36 +0530, shirish wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >     Is there anyway to upload crash reports?
> >
> > [...]
> > Is there anyway to get it transported from /var/crash to launchpad
> > without involving the browser?
>
> A few days ago, I was told on #ubuntu-bugs that you can upload a
> bug-report from /var/crash using apport, and was directed to the man
> page for details.

That's right! We had a small bug that caused apport submissions to fail
over the end-of-year holidays, but it's been fixed since yesterday and
you should be good to go with it. If you'd like more information about
apport and how it integrates with LP, just ask and we'll tell you more.

> I didn't try this, because in the meanwhile I managed to get a trace
> with gdb, but I've found this in the man page for apport-cli:
>
> -c report, --crash-file=report
>   Instead of walking over the new crash  reports  in  /var/crash/,
>   report  a particular report in an arbitrary file location.  This
>   is useful for copying a crash report to a machine with  internet
>   connection and reporting it from there.

You can also file a bug manually and attach the stack trace or core. Do
keep in mind the core can contain information about your system that
some people consider a privacy issue. I personally don't believe in
ghosts (or privacy).
--
Christian Robottom Reis | [+55 16] 3376 0125 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko