Re: Digest for this list?

    Mackenzie> On Thursday 26 March 2009 11:01:16 am Roger Sperberg wrote:

    >> Unless I can find an option that will cut the number of emails
    >> from this list, I will have to unsubscribe.

    >> Typically a list provides a digest option, [...]

    Mackenzie> There is no such option because it's incredibly
    Mackenzie> annoying when people reply to a digest instead of to
    Mackenzie> the actual mail.  It breaks threading, and if they
    Mackenzie> don't snip their quotes...

That's a very weak reason.  Digests have been a standard, *documented*
feature of mailing lists for a long time (RFC 934 (1985), RFC 1153
(1990)).  I don't think you should use the actions of some uneducated
users as a reason not to implement a standard feature that is used by
a lot of experienced people.

If a digest contains an identifiable subject line then it isn't hard
to bounce message that look like replies to the digest with a message
explaining how the reply should have been composed.

peace & happiness,
martin