Re: bugs vs blueprints ditch blueprints

On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Dan MacNeil<dan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there anyone on this list using blueprints happily, who would
> recommend against us (a small project) ditching blueprints?

I use blueprints (mostly) happily for my small project wxbanker. There
are a few advantages. You can mark blueprints as dependent on other
blueprints, and see a graph of dependencies so that you know which
features need to be implemented before other things can be worked on,
and what new features implementing something will allow for. For me
these dependencies make it much nicer to track features. Blueprints
also have a lot more granularity for progress, which makes sense as
they are generally bigger tasks. You have for example Started, Slow
Progress, Good Progress, Beta Available, et cetera. A simple "in
progress" on a bug report is not really sufficient to track the
progress of a large story and a whiteboard is better suited than
immutable list of comments for large tasks as well.

That said the gigantic regression from bugs is that you can't
subscribe to new blueprints. For example, this email reminded me to
check out my blueprints and sure enough a user wrote up a new feature
they'd like to see, over a month ago, and I just noticed it now. This
is https://bugs.launchpad.net/blueprint/+bug/223928 which is marked as
"Low" importance with no plans to be fixed from what I understand.

For small feature requests, a Wishlist bug or just using a tag such as
"new-feature" might work for you. For anything more complicated I find
blueprints work well. If a user files a bug that is a larger task, I
generally open a blueprint and link the two together.

--
Michael Rooney
mrooney@xxxxxxxxxx