PPA and the distribution - what's the plan?

I'm presuming from the blurb that the build system for PPA will always
build against the current ubuntu development release and will
completely ignore whatever you put in the debian/changelog entry as
the target.

This gives a couple of problems.

Firstly I might be developing software in October and all of a sudden
my packages disappear from the radar because they end up in a 'Gutsy +
1' archive. Or are you planning on signposting when the build system
will 'upgrade' to the next release. Will it follow the standard
timebox for example.

Secondly it means I can't use PPA as a 'backport-lite' system -
building against the previous release, or the previous LTS release to
test out backports or to do subset backports targetted at a particular
problem.

Is there a view on these issues, or have I perhaps misunderstood the process?

NeilW