milestone/series management for another distro

Hi Matthew,

first let me apologize for not continuing the $subj yesterday at Launchpad Team meeting, I had an urgent call and had to leave immediately the computer without even saying good bye..., let me now elaborate more on what I wanted to discuss...

We have decided at Nexenta Operating System (https://launchpad.net/nexenta) that we will be using launchpad as the main project management and bug tracking system for us. Ubuntu is in fact our upstream (as we take ubuntu packages and patch them for opensolaris) and we want to work with the ubuntu packages as close as possible.

I have however noticed few things that I'd like to get resolved somehow:

1) I'm unable to register milestones a/o series for Nexenta distribution, it seems to me that this is supported for products only, and for ubuntu you handle series/milestones by adding them straight to the database. I'd like to create at least one series and few milestones in them so that bugs/blueprints can be nominated to them. Creating them upon request by the launchpad team can be just enough for now...

2) I'm unable to indicate that a package is part of nexenta operating system. This seems to be tightly bound to the upload mechanism for ubuntu, and as we (nexenta) are using our own uploader and archive manager on separate machine, we are unable to tell what package/version is part of what distro. Again some solution would be nice, even if it would involve some manual steps.

3) We are not sure how to track opensolaris specific packages that are not part of Ubuntu, if we want to report bugs against them via malone, it looks like we need to create separate project for each package. This will be fine, although if this can be automated somehow it would be great. In nexenta there are around ~ 200 OpenSolaris specific packages that don't exist in linux world...

I apologize if some of these questions are answered somewhere, I tried my best to find answers...

let me know what do you think and what other info you need from me to help you understand our situation...

thanx a lot,
Martin