Re: That need to close bugs?

Just to pick up one question that wasn't answered during this thread ...

On Sep 18, 2007, at 2:58 AM, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

"Fergal Daly" <fergal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
What is the rationale behind skipping closed bugs in a search? I've
been burned by this in the past.

I can understand why the QA guys or the even developers would want
this but for a user, who is actually making the effort to not only
report a bug but to search for dups first, why would they want to
ignore closed bugs? Closed bugs often contain exactly what that user
needs - a workaround or a timeline for the fix to be released,

I think this is a very interesting question. Are there any (publicy
viewable) specs which explain the various use cases for querying bugs?

Closed bug reports are excluded from bug listings because, in theory, they are not relevant to the current version of the software -- so bug reporters won't be searching for them anyway, and including them would result in ever-increasing noise. In particular, "Invalid" bug reports are (in theory) not bugs at all, and "Fix Released" bugs are (again, in theory) fixed in a released version of the software such as Ubuntu 7.04.

In Ubuntu currently, practice is quite different from that theory in a few ways. First, bug reports are routinely marked "Fix Released" when there has not, in fact, been any Ubuntu release in which the bug is fixed. This is Launchpad's fault, partly because mass status changes haven't been implemented yet (so it's impractical to mass-change the Fix Committed bugs to Fix Released when the Ubuntu version is released), but also partly because we didn't communicate the meaning of the statuses properly to begin with, and also partly because "released" for Ubuntu is a slippery term anyway. (Does a non-LTS version count? or a beta? or an alpha?)

Second, we were slow in introducing "Won't Fix Here" (so that in the meantime people got used to using "Rejected"/"Invalid" instead), and even then we called it "Won't Fix", so again it's not obvious what it means. (In brief, use "Won't Fix" when a bug affects this software but this software is not an appropriate place to fix it. For example it affects Ubuntu 6.10 but will never be fixed for that version, or it affects Firefox in Ubuntu but will never be fixed unless Mozilla fixes it upstream.)

And third, some teams use statuses in odd ways. For example, a while ago the Ubuntu Mozilla team were using "In Progress" when they really meant "Won't Fix" (I don't know whether they still do this). And as we've seen from the recent Incomplete fallout, some developers have been using "Incomplete" for bug reports that aren't actually incomplete.

Now, we could just wave away all these problems by making the default search return bug reports regardless of status. However, that wouldn't scale -- ten years from now, for any search you did, 90% of the results would be old closed bug reports from ancient versions. (The same applies to the "Is the bug you're reporting one of these?" list, which currently includes closed bug reports regardless of age: that can't last.) So we should figure out how to solve the problems some other way, and the sooner we do, the less painful it will be.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/