Re: Massive bug expiration spree

On Sep 25, 2007, at 1:46 AM, Curtis Hovey wrote:

I have taken 5 points from IRC and mail to refine bug expiration.
2. bugs with milestones are exempt.
   I agree we should not be setting anything to Invalid if there is
   a milestone--but do we often agree to fix issues by a certain time
   that we have not confirmed to be a bug? The affected bugs can be
   restored to Incomplete in production, but that doesn't sound right.
   Were these bugs supposed to be confirmed?

The only use case I can think of for an Incomplete bug being targeted to a milestone is where a release is delayed until an incompletely-reported security problem is either fixed or disproved: it's Incomplete, but targeted to the milestone so that it's not forgotten. But that's more likely to happen with releases, rather than milestones, and in any case, it wouldn't delay a release for more than 60 days.

3. Bugs with any valid upstream bugtasks are exempt.
   I cannot fathom the reason for this rule? Is this right? I'm sure
   I have seen bugs that are Confirmed on one package, and Invalid
   in another. I think this rule implies that when, for instance,
   HAL has a known bug, do not expire the Incomplete HAL x.x in
   Ubuntu package. But shouldn't the latter package be Confirmed in
   this situation? Would it be simpler, safer, and saner to have a
   rule to only expire bugs that affect a single location?

If a bug report has enough information to be anything other than New or Incomplete in one context, it almost certainly has enough information to not be Incomplete in any context. I guess people using "Incomplete" in this case are likely using it to mean "New", because they mean "Unconfirmed" and don't realize that "New" really means "Unconfirmed".

I don't know whether that means such bug reports should be expired or not. I'd say yes, they should, just to be simpler.

5. bugs that have not had a reply are exempt.
   I agree with this. Is it common practice to set a bug to Incomplete
   Without asking the submitter for more information? I'm not certain
   every user of Launchpad understands the meaning of bug statues. If
   bugs are being set to Incomplete without a message, I wonder if we
   might want a definition of Incomplete in the email that goes out?

Good idea.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas