Re: PPA TOS and license requirements

Hi Matthias,

Am Sonntag 30 September 2007 23:49:48 schrieben Sie:
> Hi,
>
> Stefan Potyra:
> > >
> > > Presumably, the PPAs have been created to further the objectives of
> > > Canonical/Ubuntu, [..]
> >
> > I guess you wanted to write Canonical/gNewSense when writing this post
> > then? ;)
>
> Nope. I can presume anything I want to about Ubuntu.

hehe, sure, and my guesses aren't always right as well, but kidding aside
now...

> And, unless somebody proves my presumptions wrong (easily done by
> changing the rules for PPAs …), I think I'll stand by them.

Well, not being able to use PPAs to e.g. publish experimental versions of all
software in Ubuntu (to be more specific, i.e. approximately the delta between
Ubuntu and gNewSense) certainly is a limitation of the usefulness of PPA's
for Ubuntu.

As an example, let's take the possibility to use PPAs for Ubuntu specific
workflows, like sponsoring. Not being able to generally use PPA's for all
packages, will reduce the usability of PPAs for this target, because
otherwise you'd end up with different workflows for different components,
which I consider generally as suboptimal (also note that in practice this
*is* indeed the case for main/restricted vs. uni-/multi-verse already).

Btw.: in your last mail you gave a good example, that it's a difficult
decision to draw a borderline along the freeness of software, but I guess
this is no real news having seen some blog posts about Ubuntu's choice to
ship non-free drivers during the last cycle. (not giving links here, as I
think you know what I mean and I don't want to get this thread dragged into
this old and everlasting debate).

Cheers,
    Stefan.