RE: Use of Launchpad for a Project

Hi again,

> Charlie Poole wrote:
> > Can you see all this working on LaunchPad? Would it translate to
> > multiple projects? One project but multiple Teams? Any examples of
> > similar things being done - at an application scale as
> opposed to an
> > entire distro, that is?
>
> Yes, I think it will work very well. Launchpad has the
> concept of a project group, where you have multiple projects
> that are part of a project group. One example you could look
> at is the Bazaar project
> group: https://launchpad.net/bazaar
> Bazaar has a core, many plugins, UI front-ends, etc.

OK, that looks just like the model I have in mind - although
it will be a lot simpler at first.

> Probably the best way to tell whether your project needs a
> project group is to look at how you do releases. If you want
> to release everything at once, syncronized, then you are
> probably better off as a single project.
> But if you want to release different components on different
> schedules, then it probably makes sense to set up a project
> group for you.

I see different components released at different times.

I also see bundles of components - analogous to a distribution -
released together at other times: like the latest framework,
engine and gui together with some high-value plugins.

I'd like to apply the same principle that separates downstream
developers from packagers within the project, even though the
same people might be doing both things initially. Ideally,
they could be separated at a later point.

So I think the notion of a project group apply here. So, should
a group be created right at the start? Would it cause extra
work to start with a single project?

Charlie

PS: Anyone who is interested - i.e. you read this far - feel free
to join the planning discussion for NUnit 3.0. Some of the issues
we are discussing include where to host the project, licensing,
features and architecture. It will be most interesting to someone
who uses NUnit, of course. Email me for an invitation or ask to
join at http://groups.google.com/group/nunitv3