Re: Translations: Upstream-Ubuntu collaboration and how Launchpad can help

In the words of the the renowned professor Farnsworth "Good news everyone". This sounds really good and it is needed. Even though I'm not really sure if you want input at this point, I'm just going to mentions a few special aspects pertaining to the packages that are specially customized for Ubuntu.

*   Make it harder to customize upstream translations in Ubuntu, and
     easier to revert from customized translations to the upstream ones.

Especially for teams that have a very tight relationship with upstream, and knows that they will do their bit, it would be nice to have "lock unless changed for Ubuntu"-option. This option would make sure that the translations couldn't be modified in LP, and if you tried you would get a message saying that if you want to correct a error you should do it upstream. It should perhaps also affect the place in the big prioritized list this package has. This option would however rely heavily on the much more frequent imports from upstream mentioned in the first point, otherwise it would mean that Ubuntu users would have to wait for bug-fixes.

*   Let Launchpad record contact details for each upstream's translation
     team, so that people can collaborate more easily.

This is so incredible important. We have so many volunteers coming in that loses their interest, because we have to tell them that it is not as easy as just translating the packages in LP, because before they do that they really should try to figure out where we can send the translation to get them upstream. We the admins could of course offer to do it for them, but that would be more work than we are currently able to handle. Another important thing here about packages that are modified for ubuntu, is that there should be an extra export option, that would allow us to extract a po-file containing all the translations that have been done in LP BUT in a po-file that includes only the messages that were present in the original file.

*   Support any future API for submitting translations elsewhere, and
     accepting/rejecting suggestions from elsewhere.

I think it would be extremely productive to have a look at this project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Interviews/DimitrisGlezos and figure out how to integrate with that. If this project is realized it will be very practical, exactly because it will do the one thing that Rosetta is so sorely missing, and that is an easy way to send things upstream. I think it would be ineffective to make this feature twice. Why don't we just make sure that LP can talk to transifex and let it do the rest?

I'll look forward to the development of Rosetta in a way that will make it easier to collaborate with upstream. Good things will come from this.
Regards Kenneth Nielsen