Re: Nonstandard License in PPA -- SoulFu

On Nov 12, 2007 10:42 AM, Daniel Elstner <daniel.kitta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
> In fact, I wonder if it's actually valid to demand that no charges may
> be claimed for distribution by third parties -- not even for the media.
> I don't think it's even possible to avoid that "money changes hands" at
> least indirectly.

I'm sure it's valid -- without permission they have no rights at all
to distribute.
It's just not nice, ironically.

> > I'd ask in #launchpad (on irc.freenode.net) and/or ask on launchpad
> > answers[2], to see if one of the launchpad team (who are good with
> > licenses) can give you a definite answer.
>
> As a law layperson, I'd be interested to hear how this went.

I just brought it up and discussion was personally informative:
1) Canonical is taking the approach that PPAs are free only for a small set of
open licenses.  Presumably they aim to charge for closed software.
2) The no money clause violates the redistribution requirements [1]
3) Debian doesn't like CC licenses, but might be okay with GPL'ing
textures, images and models the game needs.

So basically, I have this package ready for play, and until someone
convinces the author the license is causing more harm than good,
you'll have to download and compile it yourself.

Justin Dugger

[1]http://www.ubuntu.com/community/ubuntustory/licensing