Forwarding bugs upstream

Hi,

I had a bit of a feature request that I was surprised to not see
available in Launchpad.  Currently you can register an external tracker
for a project that is regularly checked for bug updates.  This appears
to be a one way sync.

Why can't launchpad file bugs with these external trackers too?  I can
see it being very useful if it could be a two-way sync that on bugs that
are listed as affecting an upstream project, all of the comments get
posted to both trackers.  The way I see it, there should be a checkbox
for people in say ~ubuntu-qa when you say that the bug affects an
upstream project, to "sync" the two bugs both ways.

Without this, it is appearing for several projects that apport reported
bugs are just turning up into a black hole.  Look at vlc [1] or mplayer
[2].  MOTU can't keep up with all of the bugs filed, let alone solve a
lot of these locally due to the understanding of the code required to
solve them.  They would be much more relevant to the upstream
developers, but most projects don't like to have to be using two bug
trackers (in LP and their own) to manage all the bugs, and won't be
willing to change.  To the same effect, there aren't enough resources
for MOTU to forward every single one of these bugs by hand to the
upstream project.

[1]
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vlc/?field.searchtext=apport&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=
[2]
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mplayer/?field.searchtext=apport&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&field.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED&field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=

Regards,

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1@xxxxxxxxxx