Re: PPA Build Error/Tilde In Version

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 20:10 +0000, Will Daniels wrote:

> Thanks William, Onkar & Andrea for answering my question - it makes
> sense now!  So my next question then is if I make an updated package for
> the dependency in question and upload it to my PPA, can the build system
> be made to use the updated package from my PPA somehow?

Hmmm.... It depends on the naming of your source package. In this case,
you'll probably will need to be uploaded again.

Let's see. Say your original package is called:

mico-2.3.9+svn93494.tar.gz

You prepare the debian packaging and call your package:

mico_2.3.9+svn93494-1~ppa1

Sooo your source file will be named

mico_2.3.9+svn93494.orig.tar.gz

and will need to be uploaded. Now, say you made a mistake in the
packaging and have to regenerate the source package and it ends up baing
called:

mico_2.3.9+svn93494-1~ppa2

and you don't need to upload the source. Why not -2~ppa1? Such revision
increases are used to indicate patches and similar changes made by the
original packager. The scheme is a bit convoluted and explained in the
Debian Policy Manual. In ubuntu, when there are extra changes that only
matter to the distro, you'll see the -NubuntuN suffix.