Re: Failure upon failure...

On 30 Apr 2008, at 20:09, Tom Brus wrote:
Hello,

During my upgrade from Gutsy to Hardy I got a whole string of error messages. I was given the opportunity to file bugs for these errors but the page for reporting the bugs gave me en error :(. I was asked to report it on this mailing list and include error ID OOPS-851A3287 in my message. Well here it is...

The original bug filing page URL was:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+filebug/ 4WpShXsE1QCijZwaQRDGyYMxBsT?field.title=package+update-manager+1% 3A0.87.24+failed+to+install%2Fupgrade%3A+ErrorMessage%3A+SystemError +in+cache.commit()%3A+E%3ASub-process+%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fdpkg+returned +an+error+code+(1)

The "Continue" button lead me to URL:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+filebug/ 4WpShXsE1QCijZwaQRDGyYMxBsT

Hi Tom,

Was there a long delay between going to the first page and clicking "Continue"?

The "4WpShXsE1QCijZwaQRDGyYMxBsT" bit is a pointer that Launchpad uses to retrieve previously uploaded debug information, and it's not able to find it. What might have happened is that it got garbage- collected before you progressed through the form. A long delay would fit in with that hypothesis, but if the delay was short, then perhaps the debug data was garbage-collected too soon, and that's something we should fix.

I've searched the access logs and I can't see any recent problems with this form, but I haven't searched very far back. So, if you have any more information that'll help me recreate the problem then I'd be very grateful for a reply, if you have time.

Thanks for reporting this, and good luck with your system :)

Gavin.