Re: Rosetta after 31 July 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:48 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jun 30, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Jeroen Vermeulen wrote:
>
>> Adi Roiban wrote:
>>
>>> What would happen to translation for which they author does not
>>> access
>>> the license update page?
>>
>> They stay around.  The existing terms of use already allowed making
>> them
>> available to other projects under different licenses.  We're asking
>> people about this because we feel it's the right thing to do, but we
>> don't see any actual conflict between the old terms and the new ones.
>
> The requirement to BSD license translations effectively means that GNU
> Mailman cannot use Launchpad for translations.  We're currently
> evaluating Pootle and I'd like to have a fair bake-off with LP
> Translations, but I think it's practically impossible for us to de-GPL-
> ify our existing translations.

Hi Barry,

Accepting BSD translations doesn't require you to change your existing
translations to a different license. In fact, you can GPL the
translations that you receive under the BSD license. That's one of the
major reasons to use BSD: it's lax enough that it shouldn't really
prevent _anyone_ from using it in whatever way they want, as long as
they include the notice.

--
Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery