Question re: rejected PPA upload

I attempted to upload Pidgin 2.4.3 to a PPA and received the following
mail back from Launchpad:

Rejected:
Unable to identify file pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.bz2 (net) in changes.
Further error processing not possible because of a critical previous
error.

I then attempted to upload it again, using a .tar.gz file, and got the
following back:

Rejected:
MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
verification.

The .orig.tar.bz2 was the pristine sources from upstream from the 2.4.3
release.  When I made it a .gz, all I did was unpack the .bz2 and repack
it as a .gz.  Whatever, I figure.

So, I did a 'debuild -S -sd', so that it'd only upload my .dsc
and .diff.gz file.  Then, I got this:

Rejected:
MD5 sum of uploaded file does not match existing file in archive
Files specified in DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack
verification.

What I don't understand is _why_.  At this point, the only files that
are listed are:

Files:
 dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122 1574 net optional
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
 94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de 60049 net optional
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz

These are correct, according to my system:
mbt@zest:/srv/development/ubuntu/pidgin$ md5sum pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz
dc21d00df8dfe8a7ed2c95d117265122  pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.dsc
94f35843296ec24a846eaf52d90850de  pidgin_2.4.3-1~uubp2.diff.gz

The only thing that would seem to be left is that the md5sum of
pidgin_2.4.3.orig.tar.gz would be different in the .dsc than it is in
the Intrepid archive.  What I _don't_ understand is how that can be the
case, assuming that the one in the Intrepid archive is also from
pristine sources and compressed using the default gzip options.
Regardless, when I included the .orig.tar.gz file in my second upload,
why did it not take it then?  The md5sum in the .dsc matched the file I
provided, so I am confused.

So, two questions, then:

 1.  If I am using upstream sources, and (presumably) the Ubuntu archive
     is, too, then what happened to one/the other/both that made them
     not match up?
 2.  Why was the original attempt, including a .tar.bz2 file, rejected?
     The archive is _significantly_ smaller as a .bz2 compressed archive
     as opposed to a .gz compressed one (4 MiB less), wouldn't that be
     preferred?

	Thanks,
	Mike

--