Re: PPA "Copy packages" issues

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Celso Providelo
> <celso.providelo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Known bug.  It was mentioned back when the feature was added, but no
>>> further discussion that I'm aware of.
>>
>> It's definitely not a bug.
>>
>> You cannot sanely distribute the same binary version built in
>> different contexts (series), thus you cannot copy only the source to
>> be rebuilt in another series. The publisher won't be able to place the
>> new binaries in the pool/ directory and APT won't be able to do the
>> right thing when installing it or upgrading the system.
>
> That the option to copy from gutsy to hardy and rebuild exists when it
> is impossible to do should be considered a bug.  If it can't be done,
> why supply a button that pretends to allow it?

Then it's a *very* different bug that what was suggested in the initial email.

The copy infrastructure is fine (and I assume you understand it better
now), the problem you are pointing is that the form fields are not
interactive. As in:

'copy binaries' field should be only presented when 'destination
archive' pointed to another PPA (not 'the same PPA'), otherwise it
will default to 'checked'.

That is the only legitimate bug/complaint I can see. Feel free to file
that bug if you want, some other forms already use the js glue
(mochkit) to do similar things.

Thanks for reporting this issue.
[]
--