Malicious terminal command, see bug # 263767

Hi I also got the message: obsolete package - python-gobject. I had just upgraded the kernel  to linux-image-2.6.27-2.3-generic, from 2.6.27-2.2-generic. I was just about to burn an APTonCD image, because last time I clicked restart, to upgrade from 2.6.27-2.1 to 2.6.27-2.3, I ran into the reboot failure. I am fairly in the dark still about what might have caused it, although I read something about firmware being installed in the wrong folder. . Anyway, I removed the KVM and fuse package through synaptic, as well as timidity and sun-java6-doc, since they gave me problems. When I checked in synaptic to make sure my applications were up to date, I ran into this bug again. I decided to try and reinstall  python-gobject before burning my APTonCD image and rebooting. Big mistake. WARNING: do not run '$ sudo apt-get -t etch-backports --reinstall install python-gobject' after having upgraded to 2.6.27-2.3 manually, and before rebooting. I had done apt-get source and build-dep before on the python-gobject package. When I entered the malicious reinstall comment, all python-gobject depending packages were removed and not reinstalled. I don't recall all of them, anyway: gnome-terminal, GNOME Display Manager, startupmanager, all core applications. There was no way to reboot from hard disk, although I have not given it to much priority, since I had to repartition my hard disk anyway. I am now backing up from the live CD and I will try to recover apt-cache, since I only have 8.10 alfa 3 and a hardy APTonCD image of nearly 1 GB. I will also recover my /var/crash directory, Anyway, I only have USB1 gates, so I am pretty much toast here, since it's a 112 GB main partition. I will do a reinstall without formatting, but I still have to transfer some other stuff also. I am not coming home early tonight, although I am already there, Please be smarter than me guys. For most linux adepts not a real problem I suppose, but anyway ...