Re: Bringing back useful Launchpad changelogs

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:18 AM, Matthew Revell
<matthew.revell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Your mention of trawling through the milestone pages suggests that
> this isn't working for you. Is that because you find the interface
> hard work or something else?
>
> gmb suggested in the irc conversation that we could produce both the
> big announcement and a more traditional changelog. That's certainly a
> possibility but I'd want to make sure it was going to be useful to
> quite a few people and that it would definitely do something beyond
> what's available now, before I commit to producing it each month.

Maybe there could be a little script to dump the milestone comments
into a form suitable for mail?

For Bazaar we now (eg
http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.1.9/en/release-notes/NEWS.html) have a
summary paragraph for the release plus a detailed summary.  Maybe that
would work for Launchpad.

I do think the summary that works in a NEWS file can be quite
different to what's in a bug description, and it is more useful to
people who want to see what's changed.  On the other hand I don't envy
Matthew needing to produce this every month.  Maybe you should, as we
do, have developers add to the file, and then Matthew could just edit
the existing text.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>