Re: [Launchpad-users] Launchpad fails to pull remote bug tracker

2009/9/2 Fabio Pedretti <pedretti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I noticed that sometimes remote bug trackers status can't be automatically
> updated from launchpad bug reports. Apparently the remote bug tracker is
> working fine.
>
> Take for example the following two reports:
>
> "Launchpad couldn't connect to GNOME Bug Tracker.":
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-panel/+bug/291259
>
> "Launchpad couldn't import bug #508618 from Debian Bug tracker.":
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/vlc/+bug/314038
>
> Is it a know problem? Is there a workaround to this?

Yes and sort of.

This rather annoyingly generic error happens when Launchpad can't
connect to the remote bug tracker for some reason. For example, the
Gnome Bugzilla regularly returned HTTP 500 errors until a couple of
weeks ago. We've also had issues with Debbugs that we're currently
trying to understand so that we can resolve them.

Ordinarily these errors wouldn't be much of a problem because
Launchpad will re-check the bug watches where the error occurred.
However, both Gnome Bugzilla and Debbugs have > 10,000 watches against
them, so this can take some time. The solution is to run the script
that checks the remote bug trackers manually and update all the
watches that have errors recorded against them. We dislike doing this,
however, because it ties up the bug watch updater for quite a while
(not to mention the fact that it needs a sysadmin to do it).

--
Graham Binns | PGP Key: EC66FA7D