Re: [Launchpad-users] Money on bugs

On 28 October 2010 14:52, Jon Loldrup <loldrup@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I also think it would be nice if one could put money on bugs. This would
> essentially state "whoever fixes this bug will be donated X$ from me". The
> money can be held in custody at some third party, so the developer can trust
> the promise. That would really put some speed to bug fixings, and, it will
> also reveal which bugs people really care about...
> If 100 people each promise to give 10$ when a particular bug is fixed, bug
> fixing could become very fruitful :)

Hi Jon,

We used to have something like that, called "bounties".  It didn't
work very well, but that might have been more to do with the
implementation than with the essential idea of donating money.  Part
of the problem is that many bugs are not fixed by a single person
acting alone: others help with triaging, localizing, mentoring,
reviewing and integrating the fix.  Also, if users feel they've paid
for something, people may get distracted by an unproductive argument
about whether the fix is really sufficient or not.

If you're interested in doing this you could set up an external site
that hooks in through lp apis...

--
Martin