Re: [Launchpad-users] Are team polls worth keeping?

On 16 November 2010 10:18, Curtis Hovey <curtis.hovey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Ive never seen them being used personally. Id suggest if its not harming
>> anything by keeping it in just leaving it as is. Having an extra feature
>> never hurts.
>
> Actually, It always hurts. It is always bad:
>
>     1. The bad UI experience reflects poorly on all Launchpad.
>     2. A user tried to mess with URLs to avoid the UI and caused an
>        oops. I spent a couple days fixing an issue that I personally do
>        not think should ever have been a priority. Certainly there are
>        at least a 1000 more important bugs than the oops, but we
>        believe oopses are always I high priority.
>     3. Pages are slower to load because the application looks for poll
>        data.
>     4. We must update the code as libraries and infrastructure changes.
>     5. We need to triage and retriage all the poll bugs.
>     6. We need to answer user questions on Lp Answers and IRC.
>
> It is better that Launchpad provides 5 really great features than to
> provide 10 mediocre features. I prefer to remove the feature, but if the
> community believes that it is important, we might work on this in the
> upcoming Launchpad bugjam to close as many bugs as possible in a week. I
> cannot foresee this feature being compelling in the net two years
> without a contributor dedicating time to it.

+so_much

I'd add one more thing to your list, which is that being willing to
cut existing features develops a culture of being critical about
whether we should add/retain other features in the future.

Perhaps you should post on blog.launchpad.net, with a link to the
archive of this thread.  We will see if the people who care to comment
want them kept, or like the idea of fewer better features.

--
Martin