Re: [Launchpad-users] [Launchpad-translators] Minor changes to handling of upstreamtranslations

Hy everyone;

Di Dez 21 2010 16:18:20 CET von "Danilo Åegan" <danilo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Betreff: [Launchpad-translators] Minor changes to handling of upstreamtranslations

Hi all,

Launchpad Translations team has been busy for a while implementing the
next big feature that we hope to roll out in January: automatic sharing
of translations between upstream projects in Launchpad and Ubuntu source
packages.

This will mean that your upstream translations will flow into Ubuntu
faster, and also that it will be much easier to integrate translations
from Ubuntu into your upstream projects (you'll still have a choice).
Your say?
---------

We are looking forward to hearing from you. Is perhaps a 'changed in
Launchpad' feature critical for you? Do you think this is a great thing
or are you worried about something? :)

Cheers,
Danilo
Launchpad Translations team
First, I'd like to thank all who started helping to translate the citadel project.
Danilo, since me being 'upstream' i'd like to enlist several obstacles I found to easily integrate launchpad translations into the upstream SCM.
- We use GIT, and there doesn't seem to be a reliable bzr->git bridge
- launchpad eats email addresses of translators not registered with launchpad
- launchpad can just export to another bzr branch, which has several problems to me:
- it seems as if launchpad has some special cases where it doesn't come to the same conclusion whether to wrap the translation string or not as xgettext and msgmerge:
xgettext/msgmerge:

#: ../calendar.c:341
msgid ""
"You have declined this meeting invitation. It has <b>not</b> been entered "
"into your calendar."
msgstr "ÎÏÎÏÏÎÏÎÏÎ ÏÎÎ ÏÏÏÏÎÎÎÏÎ ÏÎ ÏÏÎÎÎÏÎÏÎ. ÎÎÎ ÎÎÏÎÏÎÎ ÏÏÎ ÎÎÎÏÎÎÏÎÎÏ ÏÎÏ."

launchpad:
#: ../calendar.c:341
msgid ""
"You have declined this meeting invitation. It has <b>not</b> been entered "
"into your calendar."
msgstr ""
"ÎÏÎÏÏÎÏÎÏÎ ÏÎÎ ÏÏÏÏÎÎÎÏÎ ÏÎ ÏÏÎÎÎÏÎÏÎ. ÎÎÎ ÎÎÏÎÏÎÎ ÏÏÎ ÎÎÎÏÎÎÏÎÎÏ ÏÎÏ."
I've seen other incidents, where even the wrapping of the original string was different.
- changing stuff upstream changes the edit-date in launchpad afterwards which would in term trigger another update/conflict
- fuzzy strings go away completely; while they just might need a review to add a %s or a \n or something like that they have to be re-translated? Shouldn't they be treated as 'review needed' or so?
- all of the above just becomes a problem because of launchpad not committing the intermediate steps to the output bzr branch; I.E. upstream runs msgmerge, launchpad imports it, exports its view of the po files back to the bzr output branch, and skips committing the upstream change first.
-> you have a commit to that file which you can't merge back - it has to be patched back by hand.
- launchpads commit messages are done 'by the bot on behalf of branch owner' IMHO they should originate to the person that actualy did these edits.
- launchpad doesn't seem to offer a way to enter that commit message?
I'd realy like to have a fully automated process here; I don't think most of the above issues would be a problem, if launchpad could work against the import bzr branch.
Thanks again for this great tool;
Wilfried Goesgens, Citadel.org