Re: Request from Leo's owner to fix the leo-editor trunk (or trunk2) branch

On 12/22/2011 11:22 AM, Edward K. Ream wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am Edward Ream, the owner of the Leo project. Launchpad has been great for
> the Leo project, but recently we have run into problems due to a
> mistaken commit of a huge file.  Deleting that file (bzr delete) has
> not helped.
>
> Recently (yesterday?) Terry Brown (tbnorth) had an exchange (given in
> the Post Script) regarding this problem on #bzr irc.
>
> The upshot seems to be that the launchpad folk need a formal request from a
> Leo admin in order for bzr to fix the problem.  This is the formal
> request :-)  BTW, Terry is now also an admin of the leo-editor-team.
>
> Terry understands the details far better than I.  Please let me know
> if there is anything Terry or I can do.

Hi Edward.  I'm not an expert on this aspect of Launchpad, but I asked
around, and I'd like to help.

First, the caveat: I'm not sure what you meant by "bzr delete".  I'm
assuming you meant "bzr remove" (== "bzr rm").  If that's wrong, please
give us some more information about what you did.

Now, here's the feedback I got for you.

Using "bzr rm" was a mistake for the purpose of trying to get rid of a
gigantic file.  The gigantic file will remain in the branch, and with a
DVCS like bzr, most people will get the branch, and it will continue to
cause problems.

To get the main branch back into better shape, use the following pattern.

  bzr uncommit
  (this will uncommit a single revision.  If it is a revision you will
want later, note the message that bzr gives you: you should be able to
use this information to easily recommit that revision later.)
  bzr revert
  (after the uncommit, the tree will still have the changes from the
revision.  Doing a revert will remove them.)

Keep on doing those two commands, noting the output of bzr uncommit,
until you have reverted the change that added the big file.

Now you can optionally add back in the desired revisions, using the
information you got from the "bzr uncommit" commands.

Now you have a branch without the bad file.  Usr "bzr push --overwrite"
to push the branch to Launchpad.

After these steps, the main branch will be in good shape.

Stacked branches that have the removed revisions will show there is an
issue using
  bzr missing

  bzr update
may address the issue.

The owner of each broken branch may need to start a new branch and merge
their specific revisions into it.

I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Gary