Re: 3 questions about managing java-package in ubuntu

Hello Cédric,

I think I have some answers to your questions:

1a. I don't think you need to ask for the "people in charge"'s permission
if the bugs were old and already fixed in Ubuntu.

1b. Depending on the severity of the problem, an SRU might have to be
filled out before setting the status to "Fix Released". More information
about SRU's are at [1]. If the problems not very bad, then I would say that
there is no need to bother filling out an SRU, so it would be fine to
simply set the status to "Fix Released". Otherwise, you'd probably want to
fill out an SRU.

1c. As far as I know, the Ubuntu bots (or whoever) will only import Debian
packages at the beginning of the cycle, though I'm not too sure about it.
If it is the case, you should fill out a sync request. More information
about package syncs are at [2].

2. I would just choose "Invalid", as anyone is able to do that.

3. java-package is already in Debian, so there is no need to link them
together. Upstream is simply the original author. For example, if some
person A made a game, then person B packaged it for Debian/Ubuntu, then
person A would be called "upstream". If you want to send fixes you made in
Ubuntu back to Debian, the easiest way is to probably file a bug there (of
course, depending on what the issue is). Also, another way to do this is to
join the "pkg-java-maintainers" and "debian-java" Debian mailing lists at
[3]. Note that you'll get a lot of mail about packages moving here and
there and bug mail (I mean *lots*).

Also, just my opinion, I think this should go on the "MOTU" mailing list
instead of here.

Hope it helps!

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SyncRequestProcess