Are packages orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.xz necessary? Can they be empty?

Hello everybody,

I have forked Faenza packages, modified, readjusted, completing the job,
and compiled and uploaded to Launchpad successfully. And at Launchpad, it
was built with success without fail and errors.

I found a sample tutorial the which does not require me to compress the
folders to .orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.xz. See it:
https://askubuntu.com/revisions/493577/10

Is this tutorial useful or are orig.tar.gz and debian.tar.xz necessary? Can
these compressed files be empty?

Gustavo Costa

Follow ups