Re: Copying from packages from one distro to another always fails.

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 02:33:05PM -0700, Ian A. Mason wrote:
> >From the interwebs I am led to believe that copying my packages from
> bionic to say xenial should be easy. But it always fails. Claiming there
> are binaries already in the destination.

Did you use the "Copy existing binaries" option?  It sounds like perhaps
you didn't.  Otherwise, please give specific details so we can debug it.

In general, the strategy of copying from bionic to xenial may work if
the binaries built on bionic will be compatible with xenial (for
example, this may be the case if they're architecture-independent).
However, it's much more common for things to be compatible in the other
direction, so our usual advice for people doing this kind of thing is to
upload to the *oldest* series first and then copy it *forward*.

If binaries built on xenial and bionic are mutually incompatible, then
your only recourse is to use different version numbers.
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/BuildingASourcePackage has
advice on this.

--
Colin Watson                                    [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]