Re: Launchpad builder VMs upgraded to bionic

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 1:48 PM Colin Watson <cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The simplest and IMO best way to do this would be to SRU the systemd
> change that bumped it to 64M [1] to bionic; we'd then pick that up in
> the natural course of events by way of new cloud image builds.  Has that
> been considered?  It feels as though what's happened here is simply that
> the Launchpad build farm upgrade has surfaced a bug in bionic, so the
> most appropriate thing to do would be to fix it in bionic.

Thanks Colin, it is a good idea! Although, I've seen uploads from my
teammates take like 2-3 months to get merged/released on systemd
package, due to security fixes on such package. It might take a while
to get the fix organically if we follow such approach...

> Failing that, can somebody advise on whether there's an appropriate way
> to configure this in an image without having to maintain a fork of
> systemd?  The workflow here is that we consume Ubuntu cloud images and
> make a few small changes to them, mostly things like installing
> launchpad-buildd, before publishing them to Glance for use when starting
> new builder VMs.

I think the cloud image folks can chime in with good ideas, but I'd
consider cloud-init - likely it's possible to configure it in a way to
apply this change on boot time. Another idea: would it be possible to
change launchpad-buildd to accomplish the ulimit change ?

Cheers,

Guilherme