Re: cannot publish to groovy

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 06:35:41PM +0100, Giuseppe Penone wrote:
> my package cherrytree is currently out in ppa for focal (see
> https://launchpad.net/~giuspen/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages ) but when I
> try to deploy also to groovy it keeps rejecting, either with the copy
> package (rebuild) and with a new dput from my sources changing
>
> -cherrytree (0.99.16-1) focal; urgency=low
> +cherrytree (0.99.16-1) groovy; urgency=low
>
> Rejected:
> File cherrytree_0.99.16-1.tar.gz already exists in giuspen, but uploaded
> version has different contents. See more information about this error in
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/UploadErrors.

A given archive can't have the same packages (source or binary) with the
same version but different contents.

Would the .deb that you have for focal be installable on groovy?
(Normally the answer is "yes", unless some libraries have changed out
from under you in a way that requires a rebuild.)  If so, my
recommendation would be to try the copy again, but this time select the
"Copy existing binaries" option.

If the answer to my previous question is "no" so that you actually need
a rebuild, then you must use a different version number.
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/BuildingASourcePackage#Versioning
is our usual advice on this, but given how you've already versioned your
focal source package, you'd probably need to use something like
0.99.16-1+ubuntu20.10.1 in this particular case.  (In the future, it
would be better to use something like 0.99.17-1~ubuntu20.04.1 and
0.99.17-1~ubuntu20.10.1 instead.)  Only take this approach if you have
to, though, because it's more effort.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]