Re: how to solve a rejected upload to my PPA?

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 09:04:06PM -0500, Marc Lavallée wrote:
> Hi PPA experts, this is my first post and I need help...
>
> I uploaded a package without a properly configured ~/.dput.cf file, so I
> suspect it was uploaded to the Primary Archive.

I can't find any record of this, but if it had been uploaded to the
primary archive then it would simply have been rejected since you don't
have upload permissions there.

> After fixing my ~/.dput.cf file I uploaded my package again (a few
> times) and received messages telling me that my orig file "already
> exists in Primary Archive for Ubuntu, but uploaded version has
> different contents. See more information about this error in
> https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/UploadErrors. Files specified in
> DSC are broken or missing, skipping package unpack verification."
>
> How to fix that issue? It is possible to delete my first upload to the
> Primary Archive?

It's not about your previous failed upload, but rather that the package
already exists in Ubuntu
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/supercollider-sc3-plugins), and
your .orig tarball apparently doesn't match that.

The best approach would be to use the "backportpackage" tool in
ubuntu-dev-tools instead of building the source package manually: if you
didn't have to do anything special to make the backport work, then you
should simply be able to type:

  backportpackage -s hirsute -d focal -u ppa:a-marc/ubuntu/backports supercollider-sc3-plugins

... and it will generate and upload a source package with the more
proper version "3.9.1~repack-4~ubuntu20.04.1", as well as using the
correct .orig tarball.

Failing that, there are at least two things you need to fix if doing
this manually:

 1) Replace your differing .orig.tar.xz file with the one from Ubuntu
    (which you can download from e.g.
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/supercollider-sc3-plugins_3.9.1~repack.orig.tar.xz),
    then rebuild and reupload your source package.  (If that isn't
    possible for some reason then you need to change the upstream part
    of the version number; but I don't think that should be necessary in
    your case since you seem to be just trying to do a straightforward
    backport.)

 2) It looks like you're currently trying to do a backport to focal
    using the very same version number that's in hirsute.  This is bad
    practice - Launchpad will probably reject it even after you resolve
    the .orig issue, and in any case it's confusing.  Instead, you need
    to arrange for the backport's version number to be a little bit less
    than the version in hirsute: 3.9.1~repack-4~ubuntu20.04.1 would be
    conventional.

Hope this helps; let us know if you have further difficulties.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]