libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

The migration plan

Hello,

so here I go with my "almighty" migration plan. Prepare yourself!

Basically I would follow
https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/server-migration-plan/, or rather let
fmarier follow it.

There is section "Preparing the new server" in the beginning, which I would
imagine happens on 17th Feb Sunday. What I need there is:

1) ssl httpd certificates copied to /mnt/data/libravatar-certs at the new
server (libravatar.fedorainfracloud.org) so that I can prepare httpd
configs** with them that will be switched for the current ones a while
before the actual DNS switch happens on 18th Feb

2) data exported by
https://git.linux-kernel.at/oliver/ivatar/blob/libravatar_export/exportaccounts.py
present in /mnt/data/libravatar-export - i will try to import them on 17th
to test things out and the similar procedure should then happen for real
during the migration (section "Migrating the servers") on 18th Feb

**also postfix configs for email encryption

So I imagine that if I have the ssl certs and the data dump, I can quite
easily prepare the servers for the actual switch.

When the migration starts on 18th, the old server will be switched to
read-only mode, I should get a fresh dump of libravatar's data that I will
import and I will switch (or have it switched already) all the configs to
use the current libravatar ssl certs and the libravatar.org URL.

I imagine fmarier will be then responsible for the actual DNS switch of A
record to the new instance at the right time. There is no public AAAA IP
for the new server so I guess we will drop IPv6 record. The public IPv4 for
the new server is: 209.132.184.237. When the switch propagates through dns,
we will see if things work. Maybe something will need to be fixed on the
new instance. At worst, we can switch back but I don't think it will be
necessary.

When the migration is done, we will continue with the domain transfer to
the shared Gandi account.

I am going to be on libravatar's Freenode channel basically all day on 18th
Feb in case anything happens.

So this is the plan. Please, let me know, if you miss something or if some
part should be worked out in more detail.
clime

Follow ups