lottanzb team mailing list archive

Re: [Blueprint main-window-redesign] Rethink the elements in LottaNZB's main window

Hi everyone,

we could indeed discuss this here and add things that everyone agrees
on to the blueprint.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:56 PM, eran cohen <shush6@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Severin, here's my thoughts about some of the points you raised:
>
> == Overall ==
> Default window size: current size seems fine, depending on how we
> want to implement the history feature

Agreed.

> == Menus ==
> Is there no way to get the warnings sabnzbd gives? it may sometime
> offer valuable information. how does the web gui gets the warning?

SABnzbd indeed offers only warnings through the API - but those
messages are what the user is interested in anyway, so we can still
have the message log window that simply mashes LottaNZB's and
SABnzbd's messages up chronologically.

> == Toolbar ==
> I think the "Up" and "down" buttons should stay, I know you can drag n
> drop but I use them some times.

That's right. Not all people might know that LottaNZB supports drag
and drop. The two buttons are certainly still better than the ugly
index dropdown buttons in SABnzbd's web interface.

> We may add a button that pause a single download. Another button
> needed is for the "shutdown" feature we discussed earlier.

We need to be careful on how many buttons we have in the toolbar. I
would rather not have more than we have right now. The shutdown
feature will be part of a plug-in. The question is how this plug-in
will change the main window (menus, toolbars, or whatever).

> == Infobar ==
> I like the way the infobar is now, but we may want to add a status bar
> that show some more info like free space and some more download
> stats.

We'll probably have a "Statistics" window, but of course the main
window should still display the information users are generally
interested in:

- Speed
- Overall time left (and/or ETA) and size left
- Current download: Time left and size left (display this one within
the download list? At least close to the actual download!).
- Diskspace (?)

> == Download list ==
> don't see much need to change it, it's looks good and very easy to
> understand. maybe just add a row that show the chosen post
> download operation. I think other options and info should be available
> by the right click menu or by a dialog that opened when a download is
> double clicked. The dialog should display all the files in the nzb and
> offer the possibility to remove files or change download order,

We'll definitely add a "Details" window that can be opened by
double-clicking on a download using a right-click ->
Properties/Details. This window will also have a tab that lists all
files in the NZB, the group where it was posted, may be the NFO file.

It's right that the current layout is simple and easy to understand.
It's not so flexible though and more difficult for plug-ins to extend.
Theoretically, this would be something that could be put off to a
future release if it proves to be hard to design and implement.

I don't think that we should make the "post-download operation"
feature too prominent. Basically, it should be easy to change the
default behavior from within LottaNZB's preferences window. I'd rather
not display it in the download list (or only if it differs from the
default for individual downloads). One could add an entry to the
rightclick menu and/or the properties window that allows the user to
override the default.

> == History ==
> We may want to have another listview below download listview for
> showing the history. It can show details of the last 5 nzb's downloaded
> and present a link that will open a dialog with all the history records.

That would indeed be a solution. I'm not so sure about the "below
download listview" idea though. While waiting in the queue, a download
gradually moves to the top of the queue and is then downloaded. But it
will move to the middle/bottom of the application window after that.
:-/ A solution where completed downloads just vanish to a "History"
tab isn't that great either, as users generally want to do something
with a completed download... and not look it up in a secondary list.

If a complete download contains a single video file, one could make it
easy to launch the video directly from within LottaNZB (may be in
future versions).

> Hope some of this makes sense  :)

Thanks alot for your feedback!
Severin