lp-l10n-en-gb team mailing list archive

Increasing ubuntu's user friendliness one string at a time

Hello again, guys! Anthony here in need of some quick discussion if
anyone's got any thoughts.

A while back i changed the update manager to display as 'Software
Updater' after noticing that users were experiencing confusion about
what it was actually for and i'm happy to see it stuck.
Well, there's a similar problem i've noticed for users trying to change
their desktop background and i remember falling into this trap myself
once when the interface changed on ubuntu (the change i mean was
probably from gtk2 to gtk3) where the System settings box was made and
there is a setting called 'Displays'.
I think it stands out very quickly, much more so than "Appearance" or
"Background" in the top left (depending on which version you're running)
for changing the desktop background. Users mistakenly click 'Displays'
thinking it's for that purpose, before they realise it's for changing
the resolution/rotation of the screen's display or for running a screen
within the screen or otherwise mirroring the running one etc etc

TL;DR version:  I'm suggesting a change of the label 'Displays' in the
system settings to something less vague, but keeping the brevity of the
word - perhaps "Screen Display" over something like "Screen settings" or
"Screen display settings".

Hopefully then, users will be more likely to distinguish it between
'settings for the screen' and 'settings for changing the screen's
image'. (Nothing else need change surrounding it, it's just the label
within "System settings" that's the problem and i think this solves it.)

Opinions welcome - i'll push it through and backport it if we're in
accord or if noone minds. ;)   Let me know what you think as soon as
poss.

-Anthony

p.s. if anyone has any suggestions themselves about writing that would
make more sense, don't be afraid to speak up. This is certainly the
place for it! And afterall, we are the line that separates the words of
a package and what the day-to-day endusers actually read when they boot
up their computers!
--
This message was sent from Launchpad by
Anthony Harrington (https://launchpad.net/~untaintableangel)