Lubuntu could end up like Xubuntu (Heavy & Slow)

Hi,

I'm Ed Hewitt (chewit in IRC). I have just joined the Lubuntu team in
Launchpad, I am very keen to give you help with the Lubuntu project. I have
been using Xubuntu since 7.10 release, and over the years Xubuntu has been
getting heavier and slower after each release. This has been down two
things. First, the Ubuntu developers adding more applications and utilies to
improve the usability of the operating system. Secondly, Xubuntu is just
Ubuntu with Xfce 'bolted on'. No thought has gone into using as little gnome
depencies as possible. These two points have made Xubuntu heavy and slow,
and not a lightweight distro. It is very close to being as heavy as Ubuntu!

My worry with the Lubuntu project is that when it becomes an official Ubuntu
distro, it will have loads of extra apps added which will make it slow and
heavy like Xubuntu. It will be a waste your time creating a distro which
went the same way as Xubuntu. I am writing this message to warn you that it
could happen. I want to join the Lubuntu and help decide the best
applications to add to the operating systems and ways to make it as light as
possible.

I have looked at the Lubuntu application list and I am already concerned
with the success of the project. It appears Lubuntu will have more
applications installed than the Ubuntu install!

The best way I see Lubuntu being setup is to carefully follow the way Debian
is created, since Debain is very lightweight. I believe it is best to use
the Ubuntu minimal install with LXDE added on, then we add a carefully
selection of applications. Such as:

   - Web browser - Firefox
   - Email - Claws
   - Chat - Pidgin, Xchat
   - Office - Abiword, Gnumeric, ePDF
   - Media - Totem, Rhythmbox (would like to use VLC, but it uses QT4)
   - GIMP
   - Synaptic & Update Manager is a must
   - Gnome network manager (need good network support, however it needs to
   start on boot up)
   - Some Xfce apps - Notifyd (very nice notification system), taskmanager
   (but could use lxde task), power manager

We want to keep the apps list small, basic apps which most people will use.
Video editing, ftp clients and programming apps are not needed on the base
install. If we add loads of apps, we will be a heavy distro. With Lubuntu
its performance and lightweight first, sadly xubuntu forgot about that.

Would like to hear what the whole team thinks and if I can be some help in
the development of Lubuntu.

--
www.edhewitt.co.uk

Follow ups