Re: Lubuntu could end up like Xubuntu (Heavy & Slow)

Well, its always difficult to say the system requirements. Xubuntu is
suggesting that they require 192mb RAM for it to be usable. But Xubuntu is
heavy, lubuntu should be far less.

On LXDE website they say this:

   - The hardware requirements of LXDE are similiar to Windows 98 (Maybe a
   little bit higher). An old Pentium II CPU is enough.
   - After X11 and LXDE are started, the total memory usage is about 45 MB
   on i386 machines. (This value may be higher or lower according to different
   system configurations.)
   - Though LXDE itself doesn't require better hardware, other applications
   under X do need it. For example, Firefox and OpenOffice.org 2 are quite
   memory-hungry. So it's recommended that you have a RAM of more than 128 MB.

So going off that, we could safely say that 64mb would be a minimum
requirement and 128mb Recommended. Plus, our heaviest app is likely to be
firefox, that wants 128mb RAM. So by saying that Lubuntu desktop will need
64mb RAM (minimum) and then to run a few apps you will need 128mb
(Recommended).

This is something the team could look at in a virtual machine, "How Low Can
We Go". Try Lubuntu in a VM with 128mb, 64mb, 32mb, 16mb????"