Re: Mplayer and SMplayer problems

2009/9/17 Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Well I don't think there is such bad usability issue with gnome-player.
> I can also see that this choice [of SMplayer] is against some principle :
>
> - Only use libraries from other desktops when they are small or
> efficient enough and have few dependencies. (in this case QT)

The very same applies to GTK+. GTK+ does not belong more to the family than
QT. Additionally the Gnome-Player has very problematic Gnome integration
dependencies.

The LXDE design principle aims to avoid library dependency infection and
associated complexity risks and maintenance costs. In other words, because
LXDE shares basic toolkit similarities with Gnome it is essential to mind
the gravitation.

Maybe I can describe the design principle as "contained" and "lean" (LXDE)
vs. "pervasive" (Gnome). It is important to seperate the "desktop
applications layer" from the "default desktop environment layer".

Well, I can live with this, but I'm sure there will be some
> interrogations like "Why I need to install QT ?". In fact, there is
> already questions like this on French forums :)

A reminiscence of an irrational smear campaign against a magnificient
toolkit. Safe to ignore.

We had a question about VLC, also QT based. Ideal would be a lightweight
LXDE movie player. SMplayer looks like a great interim compromise for the
application space.

--- A.