Additions to Re: Lubuntu Lucid Alpha 1 "Preview"

- Lubuntu runs not that bad in Virtualbox - just not as smooth as I expected
- When the upper panel unhides only the My-Documents-icon moves not the hole desktop background. (It also seems to be a LXDE feature to not move the panel over a maximised window - maybe there's a connection between these two features?) - I came to the conclusion that window-picker-applet and maximus are gnome programs and thus can't work with LXDE? Right? Is there then a way to have the same effect with other methods in LXDE/Lubuntu? I think Lubuntu should be prepared to deal well with small-screen devices.

Hi.

This is my first post here. Although I am very fond of the project I am a bit reluctant to post
anything due to my lack of computer knowledge.

Nevertheless I tried to test and install the new iso on three computers and in Virtualbox. Here are
the very first impressions:

- Couldn't boot from CD on my notebook. Booting process ends with just a flickering desktop.
- Couldn't boot from either CD or USB-stick from my older computer.
- Lubuntu runs very nicely on my Asus eee 4GB. Boots without problems from USB-stick (same I tried
for computer above). System is responsive and I detected no problems so far. I only wondered if it
is possible to install and use the window-picker-applet and maximus with lxde. Couldn't test it as I
didn't wanted to install Lubuntu. With the live-USB it didn't work but I'd really appreciate if it
would. On such little screens as found on netbooks the mentioned two programs are indispensable. At
least for me.
A little bit annoying though merely cosmetic: when you have a top pane autohiding - the hole
desktop-background moves with it when it unhides. (same in Virtualbox - so it is a lxde feature I guess)
- Virtualbox: Most of the problems here seem to originate from Lucid Lynx Alpha it seems to me.
Installation went without problems but Lubuntu runs not! very smooth and responsive.
With guest additions mouse integration does not work.
There's a very little problem at the login after the first reboot. The default settings seem not to
point to Lubuntu desktop. You have to chose Lubuntu to login.
Same problem as with the eee: with an autohiding top panel the whole background moves up and down.
Another very minor cosmetic thing. With the default panel -the black one- the window buttons on it
seem larger than the panel - due to the black border on the panel and the white border on the window
buttons.

That's all I found at the moment. I don't really know if this helps anyone.
Anyway ...

Happy New Year everybody!

Daniel

Julien Lavergne wrote:
Hi,

I just generated the first real ISO for Lubuntu Lucid, available for
testing. Don't forget that it's build with Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) which is
still in Alpha state of development, so same warnings :

"Pre-releases of Lucid are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage.  They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers
and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs."

Features :
- LXDE packages up-to-date [1]
- LXDM
- The new pcmanfm for testing (type "pcmanfm2" in a terminal)
- Many wallpapers and start icons from lxde forum, gnome-look or Leszek
Lesner, to be able to switch easily and to test the result
- First customization with a splash screen from Leszek Lesner
- Installable with ubiquity (but upgrade from this Alpha 1 to next
release is not guaranteed)

The ISO is called "Preview", because it's build with new features which
will be part of the final release, and to encourage early testing. All
this components are not yet part of the official repositories (work in
progress).

Also, if you want to propose a new application for the default
installation, please test its behavior in this live-cd.

If you want to create a bootable usb system, please use the usb creator
directly on Ubuntu.
Please report any problem you have with it on this list or directly to
me. Exception for pcmanfm2, it doesn't have all the features pcmanfm
have, so no need to report it's incomplete :)

Download : http://people.ubuntu.com/~gilir/lubuntu-lucid-alpha1.iso

[1] except LXmusic which was released recently and is not part of
Lubuntu. Some packages are not yet in official repositories, but it's
just a question of time.