Re: Lubuntu Lucid Alpha 2 "Preview 2"

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:00:17 +0100
Julien Lavergne <gilir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the testing.
>
> Le lundi 25 janvier 2010 à 13:02 +0100, Zoltan Matlak a écrit :
> > 1. If there is an internet connection during install it installs
> > OpenOffice by default. If you don't want OO, just disable your
> > internet connection, it worked for me...  this is just a temporary
> > solution (I hope :)
> It's because the language support include a OO package, which cause OO
> to be installed when the language package is updated during the
> installation. I think ubiquity should be patched to add an option to not
> install this package. The same problem is for the language-selector
> program.
>
> > 2. Still can't change keyboard layout (no option in GUI, had to
> > reinstall)
> This should be a feature request for lxinput.
>
> > 3. Can't change timezone (no option in GUI) - had to reinstall OS in
> > order to change it at setup time
> If you go to the Menu => Preferences => Time and Date, you can change
> the timezone. However, a way to launch it directly on the clock applet
> would be nice :)
>
> > 4. xscreensaver /usr/share/backgrounds/ is still missing (directory
> > has to be created manually, same problem was there in Aplha1)
> See bug 129769.
>
> > 5. On my compaq nc6320 wifi card (broadcom) was not recognized (had to
> > install jockey-gtk). This is same in regular Ubuntu as well.
> Good addition, I missed this one. There not so much depends for this and
> it's an easy way to install drivers.
>
> > 6. No flash plugin in browser (not sure if this is planned in final
> > release or not). I installed it manually.
> The gnash plugin is installed. However, the support is pretty poor for
> now. The flash-nonfree driver is also not an option. We also can't
> include the java-nonfree plugin.
>
> > 7. Printing got included in this release (was missing in Alpha1), but
> > stil can not add printer ("New" and "Server/Settings" is disabled )
> I forgot one piece of the stack (cups), should be fixed for the next
> release.

Nice work so far. For an alpha release it’s quite well behaved. Got my music playing and sending this mail from Sylpheed. Just a few more settings to twiddle to get things how I like them.  Quite responsive on an old machine. 566MHz 256KB RAM. Keep up the good work :-)

--
Steve <yorvik.ubunto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>