64-bit install?

If I were to use the Ubuntu 64-bit Alternate CD, do just a command
line install, and then pull in the lubuntu-desktop package, would I
have a workable 64-bit Lubuntu?  It will be a few days before my AMD
system is up and running again, so I can't test this at the moment.

A related question would be if there is an official 64-bit version
planned?  All other *buntu versions have both 32- and 64-bit options,
so I would guess that would be an expectation of Canonical's for
inclusion?

Thanks, and regards,
Bob

Follow ups