Hibernate/suspend doesn't work when closing lid

I'm using Lubuntu on an Acer Aspire netbook 110 and am generally happy.

One thing, though: In the power settings (reached by clicking the battery
icon) I've asked the computer to suspend if the lid is closed when on AC
power, and to hibernate if on battery.

Alas, what it does in both cases is to freeze.

This worked *fine* in UNR 9.10 as well as in Xubuntu 10.04.

But these distros both used gnome-power-manager, I believe.

Any ideas how to fix this/what to look for or should  bug be filed? (And
if so, against which package?)

br
Carsten

Follow ups