Re: Can we have a screen to select several optioinal apps during installation?

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 06:43:01 +0800
PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As the title,
> I'm always thinking about this.
> Can we have a screen to select several optioinal apps during installation?
> For example, before the installation begins, let the user choose the
> file manager and office suite they want.
> So people can choose from firefox, midori, or chromium. Also they can
> choose from OpenOffice.org and Abiword/GNumeric.
> In this way, we can make the users happier, I think.
> Of course ease of installation is important, but even Windows installer
> provided some degree of customization.
> Can we do that?

While this sounds like a great idea, for a DVD release, aimed at users with a reasonable bit of knowledge.  I don’t think it is ideal for Lubuntu, with it’s stated aim of working on older, low resource machines.  Having seen the confusion the Windows browser chooser causes, giving that many options will only confuse many users, as they have no idea what the differences are between the options.  Most windows users I see installing anything always choose the default option.
Maybe the answer is, to give two options:

	1. Lubuntu as it stands.
	2. The desktop only, with no applications.

Remember, KISS

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net