2.6.35-8 kernel won't start X?

Anybody else having problems with the latest kernel update?  It's
working fine for Ubuntu, but Lubuntu hangs just before one would
expect X to start up and the login screen to appear.

Doing Ctrl-Alt-F2 will get a console, but it only stays around for a
few seconds and then we're returned to the hung screen.  Repeatedly
returning to the F2 console let's me continue typing where I left off,
so it's possible to eventually log in and issue a sudo reboot to get
out.

I'm running the 35-7 kernel now to type this.

I have the nvidia-current driver, which may or may not be relevant.

Thanks for any feedback.

Bob

Follow ups