From: Jacob Peddicord <jpeddicord@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:33 AM
Subject: Call for testing: jobs-admin
To: ubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ubuntu-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
ubuntu-devel-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

Google Summer of Code ends this week, which indirectly means that
jobs-admin is now ready for testing! Interested testers need only to
add a PPA and install a package to begin. Within a few days the
packages will be available in maverick universe.

   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jpeddicord/jobs
   sudo apt-get install jobs-admin

jobs-admin may then be launched from the terminal, or can be found
under System > Administration > System Jobs. We've hidden most
jobs/services that are essential to your system, so ideally you
shouldn't be able to break anything even if you wanted to. With that
in mind, feel free to give it all a stress test. Shut off jobs you
don't want, and change the settings of others. By testing this you'll
also be testing jobservice, the daemon which powers it all.

Bugs can be reported on Launchpad:
   http://bugs.launchpad.net/jobsadmin

We're also open for translating:

* https://translations.launchpad.net/jobsadmin - for most UI elements
* https://translations.launchpad.net/jobservice - for job settings

Any and all feedback is welcome. We'll have a bugfix release in the
next few weeks. I won't be responding to reports or feedback until
August 16 (Monday), however.

For Maverick, you'll be able to install jobs-admin and have easy
access to your system's services. The PPA will be maintained so Lucid
users aren't left out. We're hoping to make this the de-facto utility
(and framework) for managing services and jobs, and hopefully you'll
see this in-place as the replacement for the missed services-admin in
11.04. I'll be working on getting these packages into Debian as well.

Thanks for your attention!

--
Jacob Peddicord
http://jacob.peddicord.net/