Re: Fwd: Call for testing: jobs-admin

Hi Brian,

I know that job priorities can be altered, hopefully the below is of help to
you.

Kernel decides how much processor time is required for a process based on
the nice value. Possible nice value range is: -20 to 20. A process that has
nice value of -20 is very high priority. The process that has a nice value
of 20
is very low priority.

*$ ps axl*
Use ps axl to display the nice value of all running process.
F   UID   PID  PPID PRI  *NI*    VSZ   RSS WCHAN  STAT TTY        TIME COMMAND
4     0     1     0  20   0   2100   724 -      Ss   ?          0:06 init [2]
5     0     2     0  15  -5      0     0 -      S<   ?          0:00 [kthreadd]
1     0    47     2  15  -5      0     0 -      S<   ?          0:00 [kacpid]
1     0    48     2  15  -5      0     0 -      S<   ?          0:00
[kacpi_notify]
1     0   125     2  15  -5      0     0 -      S<   ?          0:00 [kseriod]
1     0   166     2  20   0      0     0 -      S    ?          0:00
[pdflush][Note: 6th column 'NI' is the nice.]

To increase the priority, give a lower nice value as shown below. However,
only root can increase the priority of a running process, else you’ll get
error messages.

*$ ps axl | grep test.sh*
1     0    12345     2  15  10      0     0 -      S<   ?     0:00
test.sh[Note: 6th column with value 10 is the nice value for the
shell-script.]

Now decrease the nice value to increase the priority of the process. Use the
PID of the process.

*$ su -
# renice -5 -p 12345*

*$ ps axl | grep test.sh*

1     0    12345     2  15  -5      0     0 -      S<   ?     0:00
test.sh[ Note: The 6th column now shows a lower nice value of -5
(increased priority)]